HACCP which is an acronym for Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point is a management tool used to protect the food supply against biological, chemical & physical hazards. It is designed to minimize the risk of food safety hazards.
SEVEN PRINCIPLES OF HACCP
• Conduct hazard analysis & identify preventive measures.
• Identify critical control points (CCPs) in the process.
• Establish critical limits.
• Monitor each CCP.
• Establish corrective actions.
• Establish verification procedures.
• Establish record-keeping & documentation procedures.
BENEFITS OF HACCP
• Reduces contamination
• Reduces recall/ product destruction
• Provides market protection
• Provide preferred supplier status
• Demonstrates conformance to international standard and requirements of overseas markets
• Transforms commodities into branded products
• International acceptance